SoccerNews

Accidental Death of Security Guy at World Cup Final Venue

Kenyan family members of a 24-year-old security guard who was killed while on duty at the Lusail Stadium in Qatar during the World Cup released a statement Wednesday asking for answers and requesting assistance in returning the remains of their loved one to Kenya.

Organizers of the tournament, the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, released a statement on Wednesday saying that John Njau Kibue had been injured in a fall on December 10.

They said paramedics responded quickly and treated him before rushing him to the intensive care unit at Hamad Medical Center.

The statement read, “We regret to announce that, despite the efforts of the medical team, he regrettably died away in hospital on Tuesday, December 13th.”

“His family has been notified of his passing. Our hearts go out to his loved ones, friends, and coworkers in this time of loss.”

Kibue’s loved ones in Kenya are still waiting for an explanation from his former employer and would appreciate more than sympathy at this time.

“We need to know the truth for our family’s sake. And if at all possible, we’d like them to help us bring the body back, “According to Samuel Njau, John’s uncle, the Qatari government, and the corporation Kibue worked for were involved.

Njau said the security firm, Al Sraiya Security Services, had not publicly interacted with the family or explained what transpired.

What happened was “very awful and devastating for us as a family,” Njau said.

Kibue, then 24 years old, had been working in Qatar for just over a year, trying to provide for his family.

Accidental death of security guy at World Cup final venue

Kibue’s happy family photos at Argentina vs. Netherlands game showed him cheering on his favorite team and wearing an Argentine flag. His uncle claimed that after that game, he tripped and died.

Kenyans have been migrating to Qatar in large numbers for many years.

Kenyan security guard Malcolm Bidali was arrested and charged with spreading falsehoods after he wrote about working conditions in Qatar last year.

The World Cup said they are looking into what happened to Kibue “as a matter of urgency” and that they will release further information as they have it.

The statement said, “We will also make sure that his family receives any outstanding dues and cash owed.”

On Wednesday, FIFA released a statement saying that it is in “continuous communication” with local authorities conducting an investigation into the event.

Security guard John Njau Kibue, who worked at Lusail Stadium, died on December 10, 2022, from injuries sustained in an accident, according to a statement released by FIFA.

“The members of his family have our deepest condolences at this time. FIFA is in close contact with the authorities investigating the events leading up to this tragedy, and it will collaborate with its Qatari counterparts to guarantee that his family receives all outstanding dues and funds owing.”

Reports of a Filipino worker’s death at a World Cup training location prompted Qatar to open a worker safety investigation last week.

On Sunday, the winner of the match between France and Morocco in the other semifinal on Wednesday will face off against Argentina in the World Cup final at Lusail Stadium.

Mohit Sharma

Mohit is a skilled Content Editor who has contributed to Sportoversy. He has a deep understanding of the inner workings of the sports industry. Mohit is well-known for his ability to discover exciting stories and provide new insights into old issues. Aside from his professional work, he likes spending time in a peaceful environment.

Related Articles

Back to top button